Friday, March 27, 2009

More Media Bias: A Follow Up

The other day in class we discussed media bias and the more I thought about it, the more I agreed with my professor. It reminded me of a tragic event that took place a few weeks ago I believe. It was the story of Natasha Richardson who was skiing and got into and accident and died. Don't get me wrong, its a terrible tragedy, but it's nothing new. Hundreds of people die while skiing and not only while skiing but while living life. Life is the risk you are taking and it is dangerous, but if the media tried to cover all the deaths that took place daily, news would no longer be news. But why should they only pity those who are famous or are well known in their community? Richardson was not a notable actress or star but had a well known family and did appear on screen in minor productions many of times. It also made me think of our class discussion about media bias concerning race. A few months ago Jennifer Hudson's two family members were found murdered. Yes the media did high lite this, but it was not much talked about, not near as much as Richardson and her legendary acting family and their tragedy.
Again, both incidents are terrible and I do feel sorrow for Richardson's family, but why must media only high lite those who are known? If media believes that deaths and tragedies are newsworthy, they should never have a problem producing a story but should also never have a problem reporting a story that doesn't involve someone wealthy or well-known.
The more and more I read the news, the more I get frustrated. We are all Americans and we all deserve the lives we live. The media should not only cherish the lives of those who are well-known because many others are well-known for other aspects of their lives and in someones eyes are very important.

No comments:

Post a Comment