Thursday, March 19, 2009

Wal-mart Hoax and the Power of Technology

Today around 3p.m. I received many text messages concerning a "gang initiation" at Wal-mart tonight. It all started when a woman came into my fitness center and said to me, "Kylie, do not go to Wal-mart tonight. I received many text messages that said there is going to be a gang initiation tonight and three women would die." I looked at her with a funny face and said, "Well, I actually need to go to Wal-mart because I need something for dinner and I don't get off work so..." She looked at me puzzled, laughed, and said, "Wouldn't you rather starve than be dead?" My only response was, "This is a sick joke." About 10 minutes later I went and checked my phone and sure enough, 4 new text messages all saying the same thing. So instead of taking the message at face value, I did some research on the Internet and found out in Georgia newspapers people were writing how they received the same message two days ago! About an hour later, it was on the news that this was only a hoax and there was no evidence linking this message to any gang related activity.
Most people are probably wondering why I am even writing about it, but it is interesting to me. Not the fact that some really unintelligent person was boycotting Wal-mart and decided to send a message to everyone else so they would join in, but because everyone else jumped on the bandwagon and believed it! I do not know how many people came in tonight and told me to stay away from Wal-mart yet they did not even know the facts. First of all, the message said from some Wal-mart, we only have one here in Kearney, second of all, no one even took the time to look it to it. I guess I am writing about it because it gave me a scare and a laugh all at the same time. The power of technology and word of mouth all at the same time and the fact that people go to such extreme measures to look for entertainment. Now, I would feel really bad if something like this did happen tonight after I have been bashing it, but honestly, get the facts before you spread the words!

No comments:

Post a Comment